There are many good reasons for investing in the best knife sharpener. This is a practical tool that makes life easier but it is also something that is good fun to use.
Once you start looking for knife sharpeners that you might be interested in, you will soon discover that there is a lot of choice of models. Each of them has their own advantages that might them especially useful for you.
By taking a little bit of time to read through our guides and reviews you should find it a lot easier to choose the perfect one for your needs. Having done this, you will be ready to use it to keep your knives wonderfully sharp and working exactly as they should do.
Different Knife Sharpener Styles
The first big surprise could come when you see that there are a number of different knife sharpener models for you to choose from. These include the following styles:
- Honing Steel. This type of tool comes with a variety of names, such as sharpening steel, sharpening rod, and honing rod. It works in a distinct way from most other knife sharpeners, as it hones rather than sharpens.
- Electric Knife Sharpeners. The benefit of using an electric knife sharpener is that it gives you a very fast and efficient way of getting your knives brilliantly sharp. While some people like the feel of manual sharpeners, others like the convenience of these electrical tools.
- Classic Stone Knife Sharpening Tools. Among the most classic knife sharpening tools are stones that get called names such as whetstone and water stone. These offer a tried and tested way of getting a sharp edge that many people swear by. They also have the advantage of looking fantastic in any type of kitchen.
- Different Disk Models. It is also possible to get knife grinders that work through little disks or wheels that rub the edge of the knife. These come in a variety of different models, from small portable knife sharpeners to big models that look very impressive in even the most luxurious of kitchens.
- Knife Honers. This is a type of device that comes in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. They all work like the sharpening steel, meaning that they can’t bring a completely dull old knife back to life but can align it better. They are best used for maintaining a knife in good condition for longer.
What to Bear in Mind When Looking for a Knife Sharpener
It is incredibly easy to find plenty of good knife sharpeners online these days. In a matter of minutes you will have an impressive selection of models to choose between.
So, apart from the style differences we just looked at, what are the other factors to bear in mind when picking one for your home or business?
- The Price. The best knife sharpening tools represent tremendous value for money. This is because they aren’t expensive but can give you better cutting ability with knives that stay in great shape for a lot longer. This can save you money in the way that you don’t need to buy new knives in the future.
- The Ease of Use. You will also want to take into the account how easy it will be for you to use your new knife sharpener once you buy it. Clearly, the electric models are the simplest and fastest to operate. Apart from that, there are pros and cons to each type, so you might want to put some thought into finding out which is right for you.
- The Safety. You might think that this is the type of tool that it is virtually impossible to use safely unless you are a knife sharpening expert. Yet, in most cases it is very simple to use the sharpeners safely. Some are a bit trickier than others, though, and you may need to invest some more time in reading the instructions and then practicing.
- The Size. There is a big difference in size between small knife sharpeners and the bigger models. Therefore, you need to take into account where you want to put it and how portable you need it to be. Do you want it to be a feature in your kitchen or do you prefer to be able to take it anywhere with you?
- The warranty. As with any purchase of any type that you make, getting a good, lengthy warranty will make you feel more comfortable that it will do the job it is meant to do for a long time.
Features to Look Out For
As you go through the knife sharpener models for sale you will find that they offer some features to take into consideration. Overall, these are fairly simple tools but the following are some of the features that you should be pleased to see.
- A stable base. It is crucial for your safety that you use a knife sharpening tool that has a steady, non-slip base. Any sort of slip could cause you to injure yourself.
- The coarseness (sharpening stones). When you buy a whetstone to sharpen your knives you should look for one that has two different sides to use. One should be coarser and the other finer, so that you can carry out the whole process to get them perfectly sharpened.
- The grip (honing steels). As for honing steels, these implements should come with a safe and comfortable grip that allows you to hold it easily while sharpening.
5 Best Knife Sharpener Reviews
Before you go ahead and make a purchase it is a good idea to check out some knife sharpener reviews, to help you work out which one to go for. The following are some of the best sharpeners around that you might be interested in.
SunrisePro Knife Sharpener
This US patented knife sharpener looks unique and does a great job of quickly and effortlessly getting knives sharp again. The clever design and red color mean that it will stand out in any sort of kitchen.
It is set to the perfect angle for grinding to get great results. The vast majority of online reviews are positive about how good the SunrisePro Knife Sharpener is.
- Fast and easy to use
- Suction pad for safety
- Easy to get the right angle for sharpening
- Sharpens all kinds of knives and other tools
- Not everyone likes the fact that the angle is fixed
PriorityChef Knife Sharpener for Straight and Serrated Knives, 2 Stage Diamond Coated Sharpening Wheel System
This highly stylish knife sharpener does a great job of keeping old and new knives in great shape. It is a safe and convenient model that suits anyone who wants to make life simple.
The PriorityChef Knife Sharpener is great value and uses a 2 stage system with one coarse wheel and one finer wheel for the ideal finish.
- Great value for money
- Fantastic looking knife sharpener
- 60 day money back guarantee
- Simple for anyone to use
- Some reviewers have expected it to do more than it is capable of in terms of sharpening old, dull knives
LINKYO Electric Knife Sharpener
A popular choice at a low cost, this LINKYO Electric Knife Sharpener is simple to operate and completely safe. The owner just needs to slide their knives through the slots.
There are two stages to the sharpening process, with one slot for each side of the knife in each stage. The device is designed so that it is virtually impossible to use it in the wrong way.
- Incredibly simple to use from the very first moment
- Automatic blade positions with shut off if the users presses down too hard
- No messy metal filings left behind, as it has receptacles to catch them in
- 1 year warranty
- Not everyone agrees whether it is suitable for top quality knives
Wrenwane Kitchen Knife Sharpener
Another quality knife sharpening tool, the Wrenwane Kitchen Knife Sharpener does a terrific cheap despite a low price tag. It is mainly for use with kitchen knives but also works well with pocket knives as well.
This is another knife sharpener that takes advantage of a two stage system with coarse and then fine rods to use.
- Solid, non-slip design
- Attractive design
- Portable and lightweight
- Tough plastic casing
- Some left-handers have complained that it is slightly more difficult for them to use
Winware Stainless Steel Sharpening Steel
This 12 inch honing steel is made out of good quality grooved, stainless steel. The plastic 5” handle has a handle loop for ease of use and storage.
The Winware Stainless Steel Sharpening Steel is a low cost option for keeping your knives sharp in a professional way. It is important to remember that despite the name this is a honing steel rather than a sharpening tool.
- Low cost
- Good quality material used in this honing steel
- Does exactly what it is meant to do
- Long enough for use even with big knives
- This type of honing tool can be difficult for people to use at first